Monday 27 September 2010

Gardening by the Moon - Did it work?

Nicandra physalodes

By late summer Nicandra physalodes are in every corner of the garden.  They seem to be particularly happy in the vegetable plot.  I didn't scatter any seeds there so  they must have survived the compost heaps. They add to the slightly unkept, end-of-summer look. They're almost as tall as me and their seed pods are just as good to look at as their flowers.  Everything else is slowing down. We'll be eating the last of the beans this week.  Although there are still plenty of courgettes and leafy things to pick, it feels like the end of the season. The next big treat will be the leeks and sprouting broccoli early next year.

So, this is as good a time as any to think about this season's biodynamic experiment. Was one season enough?  No, I don't think it was.  I didn't get to grips with the 'preparations' that are a vital part of biodynamics, although I do know far more about them than I did this time last year. It's a much bigger subject than I'd anticipated and it's difficult and time-consuming (although not impossible) to carry out on a small scale.

But, I did eventually conquer Gardening by the Moon.  It did make a difference. Seeds planted on the 'right' day germinated more quickly than usual and their root systems were very fibrous. Will I try it again?  Yes I will.  But...it isn't just about the quick germination. It changed the way I garden.

Initially, it drove me mad to do certain jobs on one day and not another, particularly as the 'right' day for a particular plant was rarely one that was convenient to me.  Eventually, I seemed to adapt. Being more organised helped.  As soon as I'd noticed how quickly the seeds germinated, the discipline of doing what was right for the plant (rather than what suited me) started to be satisfying rather than irritating. I had to be more measured.  No more cramming all the jobs into one or two madly busy afternoons. Ultimately, by reducing the number of choices I had, it became quite a restful way to grow vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment